Our Lady Queen of Martyrs
Roman Catholic Church Hereford
In 1995 Pope John Paul II blessed the foundation stone of a proper Church; this was laid on 21 January 1996, when the title of the Parish was altered to Our Lady Queen of Martyrs. This was to commemorate both the medieval shrine of Our Lady of Allingtree which once stood just a few hundred yards from the site, and also the Herefordshire Martyrs. On 21 November 1996 the completed building was consecrated.
The Hereford Parish had been served by English Benedictine Congregation Monks from Belmont Abbey, just two miles outside, the City, for nearly a century, when Archbishop McGrath of Cardiff decided to establish a separate Parish to serve Catholics resident to the south of the River Wye. The new Parish, dedicated to Our Lady, Queen of the Universe, was entrusted to the Vincentian Fathers. Abbot Romuald Leonard had purchased a large Victorian house and grounds to establish a School - this property was to be the heart of the new Parish. In 1957 a Hall was built, to be used as a temporary Church. In 1989 the parish returned to the care of the Belmont community.